One of the largest and most beautiful fortresses in Germany
High above the historic center of Kronach lies the ancient bishops’s castle, later known as the state fortress, on the Rosenberg hill. The oldest maintained document containing the name “Rosenberg” dates back to the year 1249.
The various building phases are clearly visible: the medieval donjon, the walls and towers from the 15th and 16th century, the bastion-like pentagon from the late baroque. They show how the constructions of weir systems had to be adapted to new demands throughout the centuries. The coexistence of medieval, renaissance and baroque architecture of weir systems makes Rosenberg an important witness of the building history of German fortifications. Even the famous master builders Maximilian von Welsch and Balthasar Neumann participated in the extension of the fortress. The early baroque entrance gate, one of the most beautiful of its kind in Germany, was built by Antoniio Petrini.
In its entire history, Rosenberg has never been captured or defeated by enemies. In 1888, the town bought the fortress as historical real estate and not for military importance.
An additional incentive for many tourists is the system of underground corridors, which can be visited in the company of a guided tour.